The NHS Counselors are committed to helping students and families make the transition to high school a positive one. There are numerous opportunities throughout the year to help support our freshmen as they transition to 9th grade.
- Freshmen Class Talks- The Counselors will meet with all freshmen students in small groups to discuss the high school transition and provide information on school resources. Students will learn more about graduation requirements, as well as academic and post-high school information.
- Back to School Night- In August families have the opportunity to come walk through their student’s schedule and meet our teachers & staff. Learn more about your student’s courses and resources available to your student at NHS.
- Get Focused Stay Focused- The Get Focused Stay Focused curriculum is offered to our freshmen students in the Skills for Success course. Through this curriculum students will acquire skills to help them examine and explore interest areas and career options. Students will facilitate the development of a 10 year plan that will align their career goals with post high school plans.
- Small Group Meetings with Career Counselor- The career counselor will meet with all freshman in a small group setting to help students learn more about NHS Pathway options, as well as to administer interest inventories and provide opportunities for career exploration. The purpose of these meetings is to help students begin identifying careers of interest and to understand the connection between their high school education and their career/lifestyle goals.
- Individual Meetings with Career Counselor- The career counselor is available to meet with all freshman individually who are interested in discussing their interests and pathway options, exploring careers, and developing a plan for achieving their desired career and lifestyle. Students will work with the career counselor to review 10 year plans, prioritize top career choices, discuss college majors, and develop strategies for achieving academic success in high school, as well as compete effectively in the college application process, desired college/university program, and workplace. Interested students must sign-up in the counseling office or email the career counselor directly for an appointment.
- PSAT 10- Freshmen have the opportunity to sign up to take the PSAT 10 test, a practice test for the SAT. The test is offered in March. The PSAT 10 score report provides students with personalized information to help students prepare for the SAT.
Enrich your high school experience by getting involved with athletics and activities. We offer a variety of opportunities at Nipomo High School. Please visit the athletics and activities pages for more information about ways to get involved.