Scholarship Opportunities and Information - Download the Financial Aid for Parents at the bottom of the page for upcoming meetings/presentations by NHS Counselors.
FINANCIAL AID and SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PLANNING STEPS
- Encourage students to obtain a Social Security Number if they do not already have one. http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber
- Encourage students (and their parents) to obtain a Personal Identifier Number (PIN) to facilitate on-line filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). http://www.pin.ed.gov/ (see the related information about "PIN Safety" below.
- Obtain the NHS Local Scholarship/Grant application.
- Attend the Financial Aid Night at Nipomo High School .
- Verify student's Social Security Number with the NHS Records Office to release the required high school Grade Point Average (GPA) to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) so that potentially eligible students may be considered for a Cal Grant Entitlement award.
- Encourage students to investigate deadlines and application requirements for institutional scholarship at each of the postsecondary institutions to which they are applying for admission.
- Encourage students to investigate deadlines and application requirements for scholarships or other aid opportunities offered by local organizations or by other philanthropic agencies and organizations.
- Encourage students and their families to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1st and by the March deadline for Cal Grant Entitlement awards. March is also the priority filing date for student aid at all CSU campuses.
With increasing concern about identity theft, students and their parents should be cautioned to protect their Social Security Numbers and other personal information including their respective PINs (Personal Identifier Numbers) that are assigned by the U.S. Department of Education for student financial aid purposes and similar identifiers and passwords used by most colleges and universities.