Concurrent enrollment are classes that you take at an area community college, either in addition to your course load of high school classes or may replace some of your high school classes. The community colleges that offer concurrent enrollment are Allan Hancock (College Now!) or Cuesta dual/concurrent enrollment. These are free tuition college courses. Please note that there may be a $20-$30 fee for technology, enrollment, health etc.
Concurrent Enrollment Checklist
- Be Ready: Student is in 11th or 12th grade and demonstrates college readiness (Responsibility, self-accountable, able to take on the challenge). Cuesta may allow underclassmen in some circumstances for limited classes.
- Apply to College: Complete the online application for Hancock or Cuesta
- Note that your application will be accessed through OpenCCC; your user name and password may have been created for this in Skills for Success/Tech Seminar your freshman year.
- Your user name is likely your 6 digit student ID & your password is your birth date in the format mmddyyyy (8 digits, no dashes or spaces)
- You may also try, Username: School ID, Password: first 3 letters of month of birthday, day, full year (Ex. aug181980)
- Or Username: School ID & Capital initials ( Ex. 900168ACM), Password; 6-digit birthday, no dashes, lower case “a” at the end
- If you do not remember the username & password that you created, you will have to follow the prompts for forgetting your username/password
- High School Approval: Complete the Hancock or Cuesta application for concurrent enrollment & return to the appropriate college or your school counselor. Hancock requires your “H number “ from your email or app.
- Placement Test: You must take a placement test at the college where you wish to attend.
- Cuesta will allow you to take English 101 if you have successfully completed English 11 and PreCal if you have successfully completed Algebra II
- Contact the Hancock or Cuesta Counseling
- Check Email (& Spam): After your application is complete, you will get an email with a temporary username & password. You must log in to register for your course(s).
- Register for courses: Register for the course(s)( Hancock or Cuesta ) you wish to take by logging into MyHancock or MyCuesta. Once your paperwork and online application are completed, you must go back to the online registration portal and register for the course. If you are having difficulty, you may have to wait 48 hours after submitting paperwork or call the school for help with registering. If you wish to take more than 6 courses from Hancock’s approved course list, you must complete an appeal form in addition to your other paperwork. PRO TIP: write down the course CRN ( Hancock or Cuesta ) number to easily find the specific course you want.
- Pay for your Books & Fees
- Be Awesome! You are officially a college & high school student! Be responsible about your class.
- Get High School Credit for coursework: When completed & grades are posted, hand in official transcripts to Mrs. Mendez, Registrar’s office in the Admin Building.
- This is your responsibility in order to reflect credit on your high school transcripts, especially if you are using the course in place of a NHS Graduation requirement.
- If this course is to replace a NHS requirement, official transcripts must be handed in prior to third quarter grades. If transcripts are not handed in prior to third quarter, they will not post to your NHS transcripts, GPA until the following school year.